Asthma Can't Keep Me Down: Pecos Valley 1/2 Marathon on 2.26.2011

Summary:  I did the 1/2 marathon even though I am a wheezing asthmatic on antibiotics, and I am one happy camper for LOTS of reasons.  One reason I am really happy is that this month I have biked and run over 300 miles, and that is the first time I've done that many miles in a month.  Read on if you want details.

Last weekend I thought my asthma might be getting a bit obstinate, so I upped all of the usual medications and kept my training going getting ready for the 1/2 marathon on the 26th of February.  On Wednesday, I called the local clinic and asked if they could work me in for an appointment, and they were merciful.  I say my PCP, and she prescribed some prednisone and gave me a prescription for a z-pack of antibiotics to use once I could actually get enough phlegm up to see if it was nasty enough to warranty antibiotics.   Evidently, most of the asthmatics in our region of New Mexico are having a rough patch this winter and I am not alone in my disobedient asthma.  Frankly, I would like to spank my asthma and send it to bed hungry to teach it the appropriate respect for my fitness training and fantasies, however that is not working.

I kept using the nebulizer every four hours, and by Thursday night, the prednisone had loosen things up enough it was obvious that I need the antibiotics (smart doc-- thank you!).  Hacking, coughing and gasping my way through the boy's district basketball game (Foxes emerged district champs, in overtime-- yeah Foxes), I didn't sleep well on Thursday night.  The girls were playing for the district basketball championship on Friday night, and I didn't want to miss that game either.  The Vixens emerged as the district champs-- congratulations Vixens), and I knew that no matter how bad I felt, I could make it through the 1/2 marathon on Saturday morning.  Yeah, I realize it is probably not the most clever thing to do a 1/2 marathon with an asthma flare up, but I'd paid my $15 dollars for the t-shirt, and more importantly, I've been training for this since December!  I knew I could do it, even if I had to do it more slowly than I anticipated.

Originally I'd planned on going over on Friday, but watching the Vixens beat Melrose for the district championship was a greater priority, so Les and I just got up at 5 on Saturday morning.  I started the day with my usual Syntrax Vanilla Bean protein drink.  I mix it  with Splenda sweetened iced tea and Da Vinci sugar free Chai Tea extract.  I am talking about the yummy Chai tea protein latte of the world.  It is delicious.  100 calories and 20 grams of protein.  You can't beat it for the way to start the day.  I also packaged up a whole wheat bagel thin with some light cream cheese to eat at 7 AM.  Since I was taking the predinsone, I had to have something solid, so I had 1 teaspoon of peanut butter on a slice of light 45 whole wheat bread.  We were on the road by 5:30.  I wore my compression tights, my festive running skirt with the wildflowers on it, my Brooks running shoes (the Mizuno's have not had enough distance on them for me to feel "safe" taking them on a full 1/2 marathon run yet) and a long sleeved bright pink zip top performance top.  I also wore my Outlaws Multisport Club racing cap.

We got to Roswell a little after 7 (Les believes in obeying the speed limit), and I grabbed a couple of G2s and a cup of hot coffee (ahhhhh, caffeine, it is my friend).  We got to Cahoun Park, and I got race number 51.  I liked that symmetry since I am 51 (in triathlon years I am 52.... but that is another story).  I hit the bathroom three times, never like to run with a full bladder, you know and finished my coffee.  I visited with some folks and met Carl from Clovis who is also in the Outlaws.  I told Les to come back about 11:30 since that was as early as I figured I would possibly finish.  As it turns out, they didn't start us until about 8:15, so it was noonish when I finished.

The first mile was good.  I ran a 13:30 pace, and then I had to stop to cough up so much phlegm that I had to get off the running path so nobody would see the pile of disgusting crud I was leaving on the side of the road.  I knew I had to decide what type of race I was going to have, i.e. was I going to finish or not.  I opted for slow and finish rather than burn out my lungs by punishing myself that way.  I alternated running and walking and did well, and kept my average heartrate under 130, a pace I know does not hurt my breathing too much.

The first water station was located about 2 miles into the race and the second was located at the halfway point.  The port-a-potty was at the first water station.  I didn't need to stop on the way out (three trips before the race.....) but by about mile 6 I was looking for a bus.  There were none.  For those of you familiar with Roswell, we started at Cahoun park, ran on the bike/running trail, headed out to the highway out past the state police office, and then headed out on the truck by-pass relief route.  There are no bushes, no trees, no businesses, no dirt roads to allow a detour, you are out of luck.  I considered asking the volunteers at the turnaround if I could go behind their vehicle, but they were all young cadets from the military academy, and frankly I just could not bring myself to discuss my toileting needs with them.  However, I do notice that I have no problem discussing it with everyone on Facebook, hmmm, the inconsistencies of my personal values and boundaries.  Anyway, the trip BACK to the port-a-potty was just as desolate, though I did notice I made slightly better time on that section (ah the joys of data analysis with my special friend the Garmin Forerunner).  It was hot.

I'd filled up my water bottles at the turnaround point and was swilling it pretty good.  I was not worried because there was the second water station at the port-a-potty.  I'd also poured water over my head and down my back and front.  I'd even entertained becoming one of those women who run in her sports bra.  Now I've never been one of those women because I don't look like one of those women who SHOULD run in her sports bra.  I was hot, and I did consider it.  I discarded it because I am frankly much to modest (refer to the paragraph above where I could not discuss my need to relieve myself behind a vehicle).  I reached the 6K turnaround point and knew it was just a little bit to the port-a-potty and the next water station.  I could see the port-a-potty, relief was in sight!  I was so happy.  Soon I was much more comfortable, unfortunately, there was no water.  They'd shut down the water station.  I was the last runner and there were still about 8 walkers behind me..... no water for us.  Now that worried me, because I am a big drinker because I am so prone to dehydration.  It was windy, it was hot, and I was out of water.  I just told myself, "Suck it up, move on, there is a drinking fountain on the running path in a mile-- you can do that," and I did.  I dumped a bottle of water on myself, cooled off, drank part of a bottle, and filled up two more just to be safe <grin>.

I used my inhaler about every hour on the run.  Overall, it took me 3:52 and in October it took me 3:48 to do the Duke City 1/2. If my lungs had been more able, I think I could have cut 15 to 30 minutes off my time pretty handily, but I am very satisfied with the way it worked out.  I will absolutely dress for hotter weather next time.  I am so glad I didn't let the asthma get in the way.  I am not very sore at all today, so I think my base fitness is much improved. This morning I got up at 6 and went to the gym at the school to use the stationery bike for an hour to work out my legs and have some easy spinning and did 18 miles.  I track all of my miles (biking, running and swimming) each month, and this month is the first month I've gone over300 miles. Right now I have 92 running miles and 216 bike miles for February.  I will add to that tomorrow :-)

After the run, Les asked what I wanted to do.  I told him I needed to stretch out my legs some, so we went to Sams to do some shopping, and then we went to a yummy Asian diner for lunch and I had cashew shrimp and vegetables.  We'd never been there, but I recommend Zen Asian Diner (I think that's the name) if you are in Roswell.

I really wish I had another 1/2 marathon on the schedule in May or so. May is a tough month with school responsibilities too.  I've been looking, and there are a couple in April, but they both conflict with other stuff.  One in Albuquerque conflicts with the Fox/Vixen Relays and one in Hobbs conflicts with Easter when we will be in CA visiting Stephen.  I am thinking that I may just do a 13.1 mile run on that Saturday when we are seeing him in CA and check my time then.  It isn't the same as doing it in a race though; I know I am faster in a race.  The 1/2 marathon is a good distance for me because it does not seem to destroy my poor little arthritic knees (no knee pain at all).  My next "event" is the Mesilla Valley Triathlon in Las Cruces on April 3rd.  I am excited about that.  My "worry" is that there has been no swimming since October; how good do you think I'm going to do on the swim?  Yeah, that good, that is what I'm thinking.  The lack of access to an indoor pool slows down winter practice, and I am not woman enough to go out to the lake with ice on it.  Maybe in a week or two, brrrrr.

Anyway, I want to tell you  all that your encouragement means so much to me.  Thank you so much.

Patricia the Adult On-Set Athlete

No comments:

Post a Comment