Triple Crown: Three Race Reports

Okay, I know I've been a slacker, and today is my day to get caught up on race reports.  I have done three in April (can you say, "obsessive?"), and so I am going to put three together into one race report today.  You can read at your own risk/reward <grin>

Saturday, April 23rd--> Coyote Carrerra Triathlon in Albuquerque
Les left on Thursday morning to fly to Tallahassee to drive with Mary back from Florida to NM.  I left Fort Sumner on Friday afternoon to go to Albuquerque for the Coyote Carrerra Triathlon.  I was meeting Marcy Oxford because we really like this race.  This is the second year for the event, and it is held down near the zoo in Albuquerque.  Marcy got to town about 6 and we went to Sports Systems for packet pick up, and then we decided that pedicures were in order, so off to address the grooming emergency.  With that tended to, we met Lisa Gurule, Marcy's sister and a fellow cyclist and triathlete, for dinner at VietQ Grill and had a yummy prerace dinner.  Back to the hotel and bed by 10.  I love hanging out with athletes.

Up at 5:30 and then off to Einsten Brother's Bagels for a BIG coffee in my water bottle and a turkey bagel thin breakfast sandwich and then down to transition.  They had transition set up so we had to rack by age group.  I much prefer open racking.  Things were crowded and in some places there was tons of space, but not in the old lady groups; we made it work by putting out bags and towels by the fence instead of by our bikes.  While I whine, it actually worked well for me.

This was also a reverse sprint tri and my wave of Athenas was not scheduled to go until 9, and Marcy was scheduled for 9:03 in the last wave. I met a couple of Outlaws.  Peggy was also scheduled to go after me at 9:03 and I know she would be passing me because i am truly the world's slowest athlete.  Lots of fun looking at the bikes in transition, though there were not as many fancy pants tri bikes as I am used to seeing.  I think some of them might have been at Spring Fling since that triathlon was also going on at the same time in Albuquerque.  Both Marcy and I are jonesing for new bikes.  I want a triathlon specific bike, and have told Les I want him to sell my motorcycle so I can start shopping for a new tri bike.

I'd used by nebulizer in the morning before we left the hotel, and used my inhaler before the run.  I still had to use it on the run.  My run time was not off by much, 42:08 and I love that particular run.  My bike time was not bad for the 12 miles, 53:54 and the swim was 16:23 for the 400 meters.  My total time, including transitions, was 1:56:34 and I think that makes it a PR for this particular distance of sprint triathlon.  I believe this is the first time I've been under two hours for the typical 5K, 12 miles, 400 meter swim sprint distance triathlon.  I am really happy.  Now I need to set a new goal of 1:45 for this distance.   That is the plan......  Overall, I was ahead of two men and five women, making me eighth from last.  This was not a Southwest Challenge Series race, but I would not have earned any points anyway.  I was dead last in the Athena group as in ninth out of nine.

Now I have to brag about Marcy, she won her age group-- you go girl!  I am so proud of her.  This is her second first place finish this year, so she is really turning into the powerhouse as she moved up into the new division.  She just "aged up" and as such is smacking down the competition.  The medal is really pretty too.

Sunday, April 17th-->Stealth Duathlon at Holloman AFB near Alamogordo
I had absolutely no business trying to fit one more race in this month, but a duathlon was just too attractive an option to miss.  I got a call from Greg Southland, a fellow Outlaw from Clovis, saying that he was going and that we could carpool and share the gas expense.  He didn't even mind that I could not leave until after the Fox/Vixen Relays (huge track meet in Fort Sumner).  Fortunately, Greg was able to forward the registration form to me, and I faxed in the registration form to Holloman AFB. It was not easily located on web, so that made it hard to get registered.  Greg picked me up and we headed off toward Alamogordo. Right past Roswell we realized that he'd gone to college with Les and I.  We'd gone to church together at University Church of Christ, and had known each other years ago at NMSU.  What a small world and how funny that we were reconnecting via triathlon!  We got to Alamogordo and looked for the cheap'o motel. The owner's eyes lit up like Christmas came when we went in and asked for two rooms.  Of course our eyes were watering from the overpowering smell of curry.  I could not complain about the price, $34 and the rooms were tidy and the beds were comfy though as shabby as you would expect for $34.  We headed for Chili's and had tasty hamburgers and back to the hotel.

I think I got to bed about 11 for for some reason woke up about 3:30 and could not go back to sleep, ARGH.  I got up at 4:30 and started getting ready.  We wanted to leave the hotel at 5:15 to make sure we got to the gate and base early and had no problem.  We were the first folks through the gate and the young soldier could not find our names on "the list", but he let us in any way.  We just ended up sitting in the parking lot for about 45 minutes because it was clear they were not ready for us to begin checking in, not a problem because neither Greg nor I have any problem chatting or making conversation.  For some reason, I was just nervous as could be about the race.  I think because it was smaller than many and because that meant I would probably be last. It has been a while since I've been last, and you know I keep measuring my progress by how far I am from last as well as how much progress from the last time I've done that particular distance.  I kept reminding myself that someone has to be last, and since I have experience and less ego involved it is better for it to be me; I have less to lose and besides this is the first time for this race, so it is a baseline attempt, right?  That is what I kept telling myself in my head anyway but somehow my heart kept being anxious.  You know that old head/heart battle that keeps going all the time.....  Let's just say it was a marvelous opportunity for prayer :-)  

Finally, we went in for packet pickup, and they did not have either Greg or I in their prepared packets.  They didn't have us registered at all.  Thankfully, they decided to accept that perhaps there was a glitch on their end and allowed us to fill out registration forms and pay them, and I was extremely glad I had $30 cash to pay the registration because lots of the time I don't have cash, just the check card.  It turns out we were not the only ones, so we were able to get registered.  No t-shirts, but I can live without another cotton t-shirt in my collection.

I got to meet a bunch of nice folks as we warmed up and waited for the race start. One guy I chatted with said, "Well, it looks like you have this sewn up."  I told him, "You may be right.  There are only eight women out here, counting me, and unless some of them have lied about their weight, I think I may be the only Athena.  It is a good day to be me." Fortunately Greg is a praying man, so we had the opportunity to pray before the race and that made it an even nicer day.  The weather was lovely, and the course was good.  It is a really flat course.  I think that I am actually better on courses with some hill, or so I say now until you bring on Patriot or Elephant Man, giggle.

My run time was not that great, 44:41 but it was a smidge long according to my Garmin at 3.26. Again the asthma was a beast and I had to use the inhaler on the way out and then again after the halfway mark. I know there is no point growling about it, but that is what I find myself wanting to do; grrrr.  The bike was a 30K, which is 18.8 miles.  I was happy with doing the second half four minutes faster than the first half; I love getting a negative split on any race.  Of course I guess I could beat myself up by saying maybe I didn't go fast enough on the first half, but why go there?  My total time on the course was 2:05:04, so next year I am going to try to do the race in 1:45 and see if I can cut 20 minutes off my time.  That would put me right in the middle of the women's times.  BTW, I did get first place in the Athena group, and since this is a Southwest Challenge Series event, that means 10 points!  I was absolutely the last person to come in on the course, but somebody had to be there and it truly might as well be me in this particular race.

After the race they host a wonderful lunch and awards ceremony at the officer's club for the participants.  I now have a terrific first place medal hanging on the bulletin board in my office.  It is the first one of the season.  Somehow that tempers being the last one in on the course.  I keep feeling like I have to explain how you can be the last one in and still be first in your division.  After lunch we headed back, stopping at Caliche's in Roswell and I got home about 3:30 or so.  I made sure to hit the gym the next morning to run on the elliptical to get the lactic acid out of my legs, so really the residual soreness has been minimal.  That seems to work well for me after these triathlons and the 1/2 marathons.  I spend 45 minutes to an hour on the elliptical the next day and that seems to get enough activity in the major muscle groups that it keeps the soreness at bay.

Sunday, April 3rd--> Mesilla Valley Triathlon in Las Cruces
I was super excited about the first triathlon of the season.  My biggest fear going into the triathlon is that there had only been ONE abortive attempt at swimming since the Warrior Tri in October.  During spring break I'd put on the whole wet suit ensemble and gone to the lake to try to swim only to decide that 40 degree water and I were incompatible, even with a wet suit.

I got to Las Cruces about 1 and met my dear friend Suzie Newton for a great lunch and visit, and then headed over to Marcy and Grady Oxford's for dinner.  Jeffery had invited the NMSU triathlon team over for a pasta supper, so while Marcy finished the yard, I got to work on the brownies and the pasta sauce.  We headed off to packet pick-up, and then it was back to the house for a great time with about 20 young triathletes.  I do have to say there were several fun conversations.  One of my favorites was when one of the folks asked," Are you guys coming to cheer us on tomorrow?" and Marcy responded,"No, we are triathletes."

"Do you do very many triathlons," he asked?

"Well," Marcy responded, "I set a goal to do at least 20 events this year and that will be a combination of running and triathlon.  Patricia did a dozen triathlons last year and will probably do that many this year, plus any 1/2 marathons or other running events she does."

"Dang.  You guys are hard core," he exclaimed.  Okay, I liked being called hard core by a college student.

Later in the evening we were talking with another student who was explaining that she wasn't going to do the race because she'd just done the El Paso 1/2 marathon.   Jeffery laughed and said, "I don't think you are going to get very far with that excuse. My mom and Patricia did that race too, and Patricia did the Roswell 1/2 marathon the week before El Paso."  I told her I understand though, we are competing at a completely different level as adults who are recreational athletes; I know it is not even the same sort of competition.

Of course there was the necessary bike repair, fix it time in the garage following dinner, and that was fun though I bring absolutely nothing to that particular table.  Then it was off to bed early so we could get up and head to set up our transition.  We got the best parking spots ever and I think we are just about the first five or six folks to arrive in transition.  We set up and then walked over to Milagro for Americano's.  On Runner's World there was an article about sudden death in running events and how there was a high positive correlation between folks who had consumed caffeine prior to the event.  I have opted to disregard that article because I think it was due to the high positive correlation to them driving to the event that caused their death.  Bring on the coffee.

This was a reverse sprint, so we ran an out and back from the natatorium around married student housing to the football field, returned to transition, and then hit the bike. I was happy because I had a PR on the run, 41:10 and that is the best time I've ever had in a 5K.   The wind picked up some on the bike.  I got a few gusts that hit me cross-wise that made me really pay attention on the bike.  The bike was 15 miles, and again, I had a PR on the bike portion with 1:11:29.  (For you competent athletes out there, remember I am the super lame athlete, so I just celebrate the little successes and improvements......)  So I was jazzed as I headed to the pool.  Well, I survived the swim.  I did the back broadstroke the whole way.  and my time was a super lame 21:29 for 500 meters.  It was pitiful, but not as pitiful as if I'd drowned or if the lifeguard had to rescue me, so I figure it was a success because I made it.  I did have to use my inhaler on the run, and I had to use it prior to getting in the pool.  I keep thinking that if my lungs were not compromised by the asthma this spring I might be making my goal of 36 minutes on the 5K, we will see she says with an optimistic lilt in her voice.  

One of the fun parts was being cheered on by Gail lieurance.  Gail came to be a cheerleader for Marcy and I and it was so nice to have a fan at the course.  Thank you so much Gail.  It was a treat to see you and to know that you cared enough to spend your Sunday morning there.  The pictures you took were awesome too.  I never get photos of the events, but you did do that for this tri.

Okay, now for the best part, I was 4th in the Athena division, and this is a Southwest Challenge Series event, so that means 7 points towards possible Southwest Challenge Series position at the end of the season.  Okay, dreaming, but that is alright.  I checked the final results, and I came in ahead of four women and two men, so that made me be seventh from the last.

NEXT EVENT
Jay Benson Triathlon on May 8th.  I am so excited I barely know what to do with myself.  All of my family will be there.  Okay, I know triathlon is not really a spectator sport, so I've not encouraged any of them to ever come to my races.  However, there is just a convergence and it is working out.  Stephen is flying in for a week's visit.  He will fly in to Albuquerque on the 7th.  Mary and Dave are going to drive up from Las Cruces, also on the 7th.  We will stay in Albuquerque on Saturday and on Sunday they will all go with Les and I to Kirtland AFB for the triathlon.  They asked if they could like "throw a water bottle at me or something" when I came in to transition, but I told them there was no outside assistance allowed.  I also warned them that watching a triathlon could possibly be one of the most boring things on the planet.  I do know they have the ability to chat and amuse themselves for what I hope will be an hour and forty-five minutes (my new goal, remember?)  Jay Benson is close to my heart because it is the first triathlon I did to celebrate losing 230 pounds and when I did it three years ago, I thought I was absolutely the last person to finish until I recently looked at the race results.  I did finish before three other females.  All this time I thought I was dead last in my first triathlon, and I was not.  It did take me 2:18:23 to finish the race in 2009.  In 2010 it took me 2:01:38, so I cut 17 minutes off.  I would like to cut 15 minutes off this year and do it in 1:45.

No comments:

Post a Comment