Gun Totin' Fun At the Fort-->May 14, 2011

This weekend we participated in our Concealed Carry Class.  I've been wanting to take this class for over a year, and finally the opportunity presented to be able to do the class, and yes, I was able to qualify.  Now I've just got to turn in the paperwork and when I get my concealed carry permit back, I will be able to legally carry a weapon upon my person in a concealed fashion in NM and in the 20 or so other states that offer reciprocity for the NM concealed carry permit.


Now we didn't really use an assault rifle for the class, but I did get to use an assault rifle when I was shooting at the indoor range in Albuquerque, and this was a pretty cool photo, so I just thought I would include it here for grins.

The class was wonderful, and extremely informative.  Our instructor was phenomenal and had lots of experience.  He did a great job of helping each of us develop both a grip and a stance that worked for each of us and since the class was small, the learning was quite personalized.  I learned  a great deal about guns and qualified on both the 45 automatic and the 357 revolver.  We had plenty of time to experiment with a variety of calibers and types of guns, and that was valuable as well.. My favorite part of class was getting to shoot at the target with one hand and discovering that I am an able shot with one hand, as well as with two.  I've got an annual membership at a  shooting range, so practice is easily arranged, and I do like my weapon quite a bit.  I will need to get a holster that is better for concealed carry.

My least favorite part of the class was shooting the 38 special that I have now dubbed the "evil gun."  I only shot three rounds from that gun and the kick was so intense that it cut the web by my thumb and it has really bruised and caused my hand to swell.  I can see why this particular gun would be the weapon of last resort, but it would not be my choice for a weapon I would use to practice with to try to get good or to use for any sort of target practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment