Coyote Carrerra--> April 26, 2010

Okay, time for another blow-by-blow description of a triathlon from the old, slow triathlete! Read at your own risk......

I have to start with my fantastic weekend. It started with an overnight sleepover with a bunch of 4-8th grade students from Fort Sumner at the Explora museum in Albuquerque. I had three great parent sponsors with me, and we had a fabulous time. We did science, ate, did more science, watched Wallace and Grommet, and got to bed about midnight. Of course we slept on the floor, however I know my limits and brought an air mattress. We had breakfast the next morning at 7, and did more science. The kids and adults got back on the bus and headed back to Fort Sumner.

I headed to the bike shop to get my road bike adjusted to fit me; what a difference that made. I can strongly recommend Bike World on San Mateo in Alb. for the personal attention I needed to make sure my seat was at the right height and angle. Once I finished at the bike shop, off to the indoor shooting range to try out a variety of pistols with friends. See, I've decided I would like a pistol and then I want to take a concealed carry class so I can take a gun with me on an adventure race or when I am biking along the highway. You can pause a moment to insert your own particular image of me on my bicycle with a sidearm. Go ahead, do that and laugh-- I am fine with that. I had a blast at the shooting range and I still don't know what gun I will be getting. Right now my two favorites are the F & N P9 and the Kimber 45. I still have lots of research to do.

I headed out to packet pick up for the Coyote Carrerra triathlon. Once that was done, I went to see Clash of the Titans. I try to see a fun movie before each triathlon, and this met that criteria. Then it was off to Sports Systems on Montgomery where the nicest young men helped me get my new aerobars installed on my bike so I could use it on Sunday. Awesome customer service, and once again I recommend them for the customer care and wide selection (second commercial).

Of course no trip to Alb. is complete without a stop at Trader Joes, so I met Marcy and Lisa there, we shopped and then back to Lisa's so we could pack our tri bags and get to bed early.

NOW FOR THE TRIATHLON ---->
Up at 5:45, out the door by 6:15. Delicious coffee and a Greek yogurt with fresh strawberries. We got terrific parking spots and had our transition areas set up before seven. Then off to get our body marking (#675 for me) and multiple stops in the bathroom. They did a staggered start, so Marcy and I were in the second wave. I wanted to be in the first group since I am so terribly slow, but no such luck. I took off at a good jog and had originally intended to keep my heart rate in the 125-135 range, but it felt best in the 135-145 range, so that was the pace I kept. I figured I would run to the turn around, walk five minutes, and then run the rest of the way. It seemed like a loooooong 1.5 miles, but I ran the whole distance to the turn around. I was stressed because it took me 37 minutes to get there; I can WALK faster than that. Well, it turns out they'd made a mistake on the route and it was really 4.3 miles long instead of 3.1 miles long. Suddenly my 37 minutes did not make me feel bad since this meant I ran over two miles without stopping. After I turned around, I walked 5 minutes, ran 15, walked five, and then ran the rest of the way back in to transition. I was the last person in from the run and the last person out on the bike.

Once on the bike, I was flying. It was terrific and I love my new aerobars. They are perfectly adjusted and they sure helped the numbness in my hands. I made great time and loved the scenery. It was one of those paths that make you adore the Creator with every ounce of your being. I was fully in the moment and kept thinking, "I'm a machine, I'm a machine." It was hugely wonderful and I was pressing it like crazy on the bike. My heart rate stayed in the 135-145 range for the 55 minutes of the 12.5 mile bike ride.

I was the last person back from the bike portion, and lots of folks were leaving. I hurried to get out of my shoes and gear so I could run to the pool. My legs were shaky, but I was doing it. I finished the first lap, and realized something was way wrong. I was so dizzy that turning to head back down the lane made me feel like I was going to vomit. I was so nauseous and dizzy that I could only do a feeble backstroke, and quickly had to give up using my arms at all. I realized that I'd been so into the bike ride that I'd not eaten or had anything close to enough to drink. I was dry heaving, and scared to death the lifeguards would notice and make me get out. I knew I only had to finish 16 laps in the pool, and that was down to about 12 by the time I figured out what was going on. I don't know how long it took to finish, but I crawled up the steps to get out, and gasped, "How far do I have to be out of the pool for the clock to stop?" Thankfully, they responded that once I touched the end of the lane it was done. Of course the lifeguards are worried about this woman who has collapsed 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the water. I told them I was dehydrated and needed water. They got some and got some diluted Gatorade and that seemed to help. They were able to get me out of the water and into a chair. After a towel, blanket, and 45 minutes of sipping fluid, I could stand up without falling down.

Thankfully Marcy was able to gather my stuff, get my car and help me get my gear loaded. Usually I drink about 36 ounces on the hour on the bike, and I usually eat about 100 calories of per hour when I am doing an endurance event. I know I am burning about 500 or more calories per hour at that heart rate, but 100 seems to be just about right for me. I was so jazzed and so excited about the run and the bike that I didn't take care of myself. I will not make that mistake again. I only drank about 12 ounces of water on the bike and didn't eat. Goofy of me.

We went to get some lunch and after some chicken, veggies and a little brown rice I was feeling good. I got home, Les unloaded my gear and I got a shower. I am only a little sore today, and took the day off from the gym today. Tomorrow it is back to training because I've got the Jay Benson Triathlon in Alb. in two weeks on Mothers' Day and I've got a run/bike/run on Saturday the 15th of May in Santa Rosa. Jay Benson was my first attempt last year, and I am looking forward to comparing times with this year and last. The Santa Rosa event sounds like fun since it is dirt trails so my mountain bike gets to go for a spin. It will consist of a 2 mile run, 10 miles of single track bike, and then another 2 mile run. I would encourage you to join in the fun!

Thank you for reading my saga. If you didn't read it, I will never know, and I appreciate you being willing to keep up with my adventures into athlete-land.

Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment